Sushi-san is serving up the best sushi in Chicago and binchotan roasted meats using the freshest ingredients they can find, all with a side of old-school hip-hop and ice-cold beer. Join them for lunch, dinner and late-night eats. Don't miss their TOGO-makase available every Friday and Saturday night.
Caring. Creative. Careers.
Join the Lettuce Entertain You family! Our 100+ restaurants are nationally recognized for great food and service and as great places to work. We hire and care deeply for people with creativity, passion and the drive to be the best. And we reward our teams with top notch benefits, career-long training and development and opportunities for growth.
If you want a career at a progressive company with a long-standing commitment to people, join our caring and creative team.
Sous Chefs are responsible for running back of house (BOH) operations and shifts, including supervision of kitchen, dish and all other BOH teams as well as the preparation, presentation and service of menu items.
- Ensure effective and efficient BOH shifts and operations including but not limited to food prep and cooking, ensuring adequate inventory levels of food and supplies, and supervising the kitchen, dish and all other BOH teams
- Ensure proper food storage, quality and presentation standards, including temperature controls
- Partner with GM and/or designated managers/chefs to create prep lists throughout the day and assign production duties to BOH employees in order to ensure that preparation quantities support forecasted business levels
- Meet with GM and/or designated managers/chefs throughout the day to ensure production standards, staffing levels, and specials
- Perform regular line checks throughout the day to ensure quality of all menu items
- Assist the GM and/or chef with daily walk-through inventory to assess maintenance needs, sanitation issues and supply levels of food and goods, and accept and inspect deliveries as needed
- Purchase and order food product and supplies for the restaurant including daily product order
- Monitor BOH employee sidework and ensure BOH employees comply with all sanitation/safety guidelines and procedures
- Assist with tracking and controlling food cost
- Ensure effective communication of food production and timing issues, needs, and special requests between front of house (FOH) and BOH
- Understand and follow the food allergy procedure and special orders/restrictions
- Ensure BOH repair and maintenance needs are addressed
- Partner with GM and designated managers/chefs to interview, hire, onboard, train, supervise and develop all BOH employees and teams as needed
- Partner with GM and/or designated chef to monitor, address and document individual BOH employee performance through recognition, coaching and, when necessary, disciplinary action up to and including employment termination as needed
- Partner with GM and/or designated chef to schedule, conduct and document formal employee performance reviews as needed
- Monitor and ensure the restaurant and the BOH teams’ compliance with all Company and restaurant policies and procedures as well as all legal and regulatory requirements (including but not limited to safety and sanitation regulations) and represent the restaurant and Company in interactions with legal and regulatory authorities
- Proficiently perform functions listed in job descriptions of direct reports and their teams
- Work a variety of days and shifts (including early mornings, late nights and weekends) at multiple sites with or without overnight travel as needed
- Safely and effectively use and operate all necessary tools, utensils, equipment and software (for example, restaurant management software, knives, etc.)
- Effectively communicate in order to perform and follow job requirements in written and spoken direction
- Multitask calmly and effectively in a busy, stressful environment
- Work in a confined, crowded space of variable light, noise and temperature levels
- Move and lift up to 10 pounds, frequently move and/or lift up to 25 pounds, occasionally move and/or lift up to 50 pounds
- Stand and walk for an entire shift and move safely through all areas of the restaurant, which may include stairs, uneven or slick surfaces
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Partner with GM and/or designated managers/chefs to conduct periodic kitchen, dish and all other BOH team meetings
- Partner with GM and/or designated managers/chefs to regularly review and maintain recipe books
- Proficiently use and operate all necessary tools (including but not limited to knives) and equipment
- Model and promote teamwork across all teams
- Use tact and good judgment when dealing with challenges pertaining to guests, vendors and employees, and respond with patience and courtesy
- Follow all rules, policies, procedures and conditions of employment, including those outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Other duties assigned as needed