The Sommelier is responsible for overseeing the wine and spirits list selections, inventory, and sales. They are also responsible for increasing alcoholic beverage sales by selling to guests and educating staff on wine, spirits, and selling techniques. Sommelier is also expected to assist FOH team with setting up restaurant, cleaning restaurant, running food, bussing tables, taking food orders, making cocktails, serving guests, assisting host staff and opening and serving wine.
• Ensure that all beverage are prepared to maintain the quality standards consistently at all times as mandated by TOG Corporate Operations, TOG Director of Operations and General Manager.
• Promotes responsible alcohol sales and service and ensures compliance with local alcohol service regulations.
• Maintains appropriate beverage inventory through weekly wine ordering with the National Beverage Director.
• Ensure beverage service is maintained at the utmost of quality levels and all staff is trained in proper serving techniques.
• Maintain all TOG corporate mandates for Beverage.
• Responsible for the recommendation and sales of wine and other beverages to guests and bottle wine sales of the premises.
• Work toward target revenue per guests and revenue per month.
• Educate front of house and chefs about wine/wine pairing to ensure all service staff knows wine selections to recommend with each dish.
• Educate FOH staff on how to properly service wine including: opening wine, serving wine, proper wine pours and how to go about selling 2nd bottles of wines to a table.
• Assists with creation and maintenance of the wine list.
• Schedule and teach wine education classes with the staff.
• Schedule wine trainings with wine representatives to teach the staff.
• Keep wine rooms tidy and in order.
• Ensure new deliveries are stored properly and bin numbers, wine list and POS are all updated to reflect new items.
• Monitors pricing to ensure wine list and POS are correct and makes price change recommendations.
• Ensure corked and spoiled wines get returned to suppliers and credit or replacement is issued.
• Converse with guests during service. Be able to entertain with a sensible conversation.
• Be a present in the dining room throughout service.
• Be able to work on your feet for long periods of time.
• Be able to lift & carry trays.
• Assist other FOH staff to perform setting up restaurant, cleaning restaurant, bussing tables, running food, taking food orders, making cocktails, serving guests, assisting host staff and opening and serving wine, when needed.
• Perform all duties while following all health department sanitation requirements.
• No consumption of alcoholic beverages while working, except tasting wine for guests.
QUALIFICATIONS/PRIMARY JOB REQUIREMENTS
• Minimum 2-3 years professional experience
• Strong wine knowledge, teaching and selling skills
• Strong influence, interpersonal and communication skills
• The ability to quickly integrate into a team