Executive Chef David DiGregorio delivers an Italian dining experience inspired by his travels throughout the Italian countryside. Located in the heart of River North, Osteria Via Stato offers a selection of seasonal specialties including antipasti, salads, pastas and entrees using seasonal and local ingredients from Midwestern farmers, when available. Boasting a robust wine list of over 300 Italian labels, the perfect complement to the mouthwatering cuisine, Osteria’s rustic, honest food and warm, welcoming atmosphere will transport you to Italy.
Caring. Creative. Careers.
Join the Lettuce Entertain You family! Our 100+ restaurants are nationally recognized for great food and service and as great places to work. We hire and care deeply for people with creativity, passion and the drive to be the best. And we reward our teams with top notch benefits, career-long training and development and opportunities for growth.
If you want a career at a progressive company with a long-standing commitment to people, join our caring and creative team.
EOE. We participate in E-Verify / Participamos en E-Verify
Chefs are responsible to lead and direct back of house (BOH) operations; lead and supervise BOH team; and ensure effective and efficient BOH operations including but not limited to the preparation, presentation and service of menu items.
- Ensure effective and efficient BOH operations including but not limited to food prep and cooking, ensuring adequate inventory levels of food and supplies, and supervising kitchen employees
- Provide guidance and leadership to hourly and management teams while fostering our Culture of Caring
- Track and control food cost, and purchase and order food product and supplies for the restaurant including daily product order
- Ensure proper food storage, quality and presentation standards, including temperature controls
- Ensure repair and maintenance needs are met and/or communicated to designated manager
- Partner with General Manager (GM) and/or designated managers/chefs to create prep lists throughout the day; and assign production duties to BOH staff in order to ensure that preparation quantities support forecasted business levels
- Perform regular line checks throughout the day to ensure quality of all menu items
- Partner with GM and/or designated managers/chefs for daily walk-through inventory to assess maintenance needs, sanitation issues and supply levels of food and goods, and accept and inspect deliveries as needed
- Monitor BOH employee sidework and ensure BOH employees comply with all sanitation/safety guidelines and procedures
- Ensure effective communication regarding food production and timing issues, needs, and special requests between front of house (FOH) and BOH
- Understand and follow the food allergy procedure and special orders/restrictions
- Review and maintain recipe books in partnership with designated partners, chefs and/or managers, and communicate menu/recipe changes to staff
- Partner with GM and management team to interview, hire, onboard, train, schedule, supervise and develop BOH hourly employees
- Monitor, address and document individual employee performance through on-going feedback, positive recognition, formal performance reviews, coaching and, when necessary, disciplinary action up to and including employment termination
- Maintain proficiency in job functions of all BOH positions and provide active back-up support when business needs require
- Monitor and ensure the restaurant and the team’s compliance with all Company and restaurant policies and procedures as well as all legal and regulatory requirements (including but not limited to safety and sanitation regulations) and represent the restaurant and Company in interactions with legal and regulatory authorities
- Work a variety of days and shifts (including early mornings, late nights and weekends) at multiple sites as needed
- Travel overnight occasionally as needed
- Safely and effectively use and operate all necessary tools, utensils, equipment and software (for example, restaurant management software, knives, etc.)
- Effectively communicate in order to perform and follow job requirements in written and spoken direction
- Multitask calmly and effectively in a busy, stressful environment
- Work in a confined, crowded space of variable light, noise and temperature levels
- Move and lift up to 10 pounds, frequently move and/or lift up to 25 pounds, occasionally move and/or lift up to 50 pounds
- Stand and walk for an entire shift and move safely through all areas of the restaurant, which may include stairs, uneven or slick surfaces.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Model and promote teamwork across all teams
- Use tact and good judgment when dealing with challenges pertaining to guests, vendors and employees, and respond with patience and courtesy
- Organize and conduct periodic informational seminars for employees
- Proficiently use and operate all necessary tools (including but not limited to knives) and equipment
- Follow all rules, policies, procedures and conditions of employment, including those outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Other duties assigned as needed