Michelin Star Chef Alain Verzeroli & Executive Pastry Chef Salvatore Martone seek an inspired hospitality leader to join the team of Le Jardinier at the Museum of Fine Arts Houston.
Chef Salvatore spent nearly a decade as a longtime protege of Chef Joel Robuchon, serving as Executive Pastry Chef at 3 multiple Michelin star awarded properties. Chef Verzeroli spent 20 years at the helm of Chef Joel Robuchon’s Le Chateau in Tokyo, maintaining a 3 star rating from the Michelin Guide, with a prior history of iconic restaurants like Chef Alain Passard’s 3 star l’Arpege.
Le Jardinier Houston brings the vegetable-rich cuisine and classic French approach of sister restaurants, Le Jardinier Miami and Le Jardinier New York, awarded 1 star from the Michelin Guide 4 months after opening.
The restaurant evokes a feeling of relaxed-luxury and incorporates custom art pieces and open-air patio set within the museum’s sculpture garden designed by famed Isamu Noguchi.
The Pastry Chef is responsible for the daily preparation, production and finishing of all dessert menu items, pastry, chocolate and some breads that are served. This role often has several duties that revolve around overseeing the overall running of the pastry kitchen, cleanliness and organization and labor cost management. They create menu items using a variety cooking techniques and ingredients under the guidance of the Executive Chef and Corporate Pastry Chef.
- Manages all pastry and baking operations and staff on a daily basis to ensure a consistent, high quality food product and motivates the team with a service driven desire to exceed the expectations of our guests.
- Creates menu items in collaboration with Executive Chef and Corporate Pastry Chef for Cafe Leonelli and Le Jardinier - MFAH
- Works to recruit, train, and manage pastry and baking staff to ensure consistent delivery of our concepts’ product and service within the standards of budget, policies, procedures, food quality and guest service.
- Work in support of the Executive Chef to ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurants portioning, cooking and serving standards.
- Daily production for all bread items (including mixing, shaping and baking) for all food and beverage outlets including daily and seasonal specials, as well as items for retail bakery where applicable (including packaging)
- Organize daily mise en place inventory to create daily production list for all stations.
- Coordinate on purchasing needs daily with Pastry Sous Chefs. Verify all deliveries for proper quality and quantities. Take proper action to rectify any issues to assure the restaurants/bakery have appropriate ingredients and supplies.
- Ensure that all equipment and the overall environment are kept clean and in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the properties preventative maintenance programs.
- Review all labor schedules and ensure that that all positions are staffed and as labor cost objectives are met. Modify staffing configurations based upon increases or decreases in sales volumes.
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience working in a restaurant or foodservice retail establishment of similar caliber.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience as a Pastry Sous Chef preferred
- High School Diploma, or equivalent level of education, required (Must be able to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure)
- Associate’s Degree or equivalent Certification in Culinary arts with a focus on Pastry Arts and Baking preferre
- Servsafe certification required.
- Food Safety Handler certification required.
- Ability to navigate and utilize Microsoft Office Suite programs (especially Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), appropriate point of sale (POS) systems, and any other required operating machines (i.e. online or digital reservation systems).
- Ability to work flexible hours, including nights, weekends, and holidays in addition to normal business hours, as needed.
- Must have excellent leadership, organizational, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to multitask in a demanding, high volume environment under limited supervision.
- Impeccable service standards, attention to detail, and time management.
- Previous experience with pre-opening of a food and beverage venue is a plus.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and in clear English.
- The ability to speak a secondary language preferred (Spanish)
NOTE: JOB DESCRIPTION IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON BUSINESS NECESSITY.
The job description isn’t meant to be complete list of your qualifications or all the things you’ll do.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Bastion Collection LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, The Bastion Collection, LLC will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCRETION
Employee must maintain the confidentiality of all company and customer information and must not discuss such matters outside of The Bastion Collection LLC. Tact and discretion must be used in all dealings with all customers and potential customers to maintain a positive image The Bastion Collection LLC.