Director of Catering
Step inside a legendary revival at The Watergate Hotel, a luxurious urban resort located along the banks of the Potomac River. Here modern design blends with a storied past to redefine luxury. A place where travel and business are occasions worth celebrating, attention to every detail is the standard, and intrigue can be found just beyond every curve.
The Watergate Hotel is centrally located in Washington, D.C., a city of political power, prestige, and elegance is culturally rich with theaters, museums, architectural splendors and unforgettable national memorials. The Watergate Hotel is situated within walking distance of the best the city has to offer.
Train, supervise and work with all Catering associates in order to solicit and book Banquet and Catering functions resulting in customer satisfaction and profitability.
REPORTS TO: Senior Vice President of Sales & Business Development
General Duties and Responsibilities:
• Interview, hire, train, recommend performance evaluations, resolve problems, provide open communication and recommend discipline and/or termination when appropriate.
• Tour and inspect banquet and meeting space on a daily basis, reporting necessary repairs.
• Develop and conduct persuasive verbal sales presentations to prospective clients.
• Schedule and assign in detail, specific duties to all associates under supervision for the efficient operation of the Catering Department, coverage of functions in accordance with productivity standards.
• Solicit new accounts and review previous banquet files to generate business. Oversee service of group functions once they are in house.
• Write banquet menus, memos, and send out amenities for VIP Guests. Review and revise Catering Department, weekly events sheets and banquet event orders. Formulate and make revisions to annual and monthly forecasts.
• Negotiate, prepare and write contracts and enter information into the automated sales system.
• Interact with clients to determine needs and direct staff accordingly. Respond to telephone and walk-in inquiries of potential guests.
• Create special themes and menus.
• Communicate both verbally and in writing to provide clear direction to staff.
• Comply with attendance rules and be available to work on a regular basis.
• Perform any other job related duties as assigned.
Experience and Requirements:
-Must have the ability to communicate in English. Self-starting personality with an even disposition.
-Maintain a professional appearance and manner at all times. Can communicate well with guests. Must be willing to “pitch-in” and help co- workers with their job duties and be a team player. Thorough knowledge of food and beverage products, proper preparation and presentation of foods and beverage items. Ability to prepare signage for catering functions. Ability to grasp, lift and/or carry, or otherwise move goods weighing a maximum of 20 lbs. on an occasional basis. Ability to create special themes and menus. Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers, some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy to defuse anger, collect accurate information and resolve conflicts.
-Each of the items listed is considered an essential function of the position. However, the duties, responsibilities and requirements presented in this job description are intended to be broad based and high level and should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all roles or responsibilities for the position. The Company reserves the right to alter the duties and responsibilities of the position.
-It is Company policy to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, including by providing reasonable accommodations that do not constitute an undue hardship on the Company. Employees or applicants should direct requests for accommodation to Director of Human Resources.